Oil System upgrades
Oil pick up tube and baffle
- One problem with the EJ motors are they are said to have oil pick up failures. The problem can happen from jacking up the car from the oil pan or some say just happens over time. My pan had a small dent in it and was also shipped on a pallet. I try not to take much risks so I felt upgrading to Killer B oil pick up seemed like the best bet. Because I was already doing the mod I also installed the killer B baffle.
- I upgraded my oil pan to an Ej25 oil pan from an 06+ engine. This is said to be the best design for an oil pan for the EJ motors aside from going to some of the higher end non OEM set ups. The OEM set up seems more then enough for any track day/fun day set ups. I imagine for the serious endurance track builds maybe the other pans would be better.
- Ej25 06+ Pan P/N- 11109AA151
- You can find comparison of oil pans here.
- Any EJ20/25 pan will fit any 20/25 EJ motor. Just make sure to upgrade dip stick to match the pan.
- You will not need a new gasket for the oil return line/oil pan port if you buy a new OEM oil pan they come with one installed.
- Drain Oil
- Remove Old pan
- I used a long screw flat head screw driver and tapped it tell the seal broke. Pan should pop right off.
- Tap from this location I only had to break this side loose then I was able to pull pan down and cut the gasket .
- If you have an Ej20 oil pan the pan won’t come off unless you remove the oil cooler. This is because the pick up is holding onto the pan just enough. You can however just remove the oil pickup first then drop the pickup and pan together. I did this route much easier. The EJ25 pan is designed different and will install more easy.
- Scrape off old gasket and clean surface.
- Install the new oil pick up and baffle
- Place RTV around the pan. I like “Permatex right stuff”, It works best for sealing oil pans and other things. It is a quick cure sealer and I have never had it leak on me like other RTVs.
- Install pan and your ready to rock!